Internet Explorer users may need to widen their browser windows to span all three columns. Or download Firefox.
Welcome! My main blog is Notes to Self, where I write about my big, little life. This is a place in the margins to jot down reviews, finds, and ideas worth passing along. I only post about things that are of genuine interest and relevance to me, whether suggested or discovered. I disclose all gifts, sponsorships, favors owed, blood bonds, and other vested interests. Contact me at kyranp c/o gmail.





Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Why, Yes, I Know the Muffin Man

DSC00213

I've been using the muffin formula from Amy Dacycyzn's book, The Complete Tightwad Gazette (associate link) for about ten years. It's a terrifically versatile recipe which you adapt to whatever ingredients you happen to have on hand.

What I happened to have on hand this morning turns out to be the recipe for the best muffin I've ever made.

Buttermilk Banana Oatmeal Muffins

Wet:

2 large overripe bananas mashed (about one cup of puree)
1 c. buttermilk
1 large egg
1/4 c. canola oil

Dry:

1 cup quick-cooking oats (not instant)
1.5 c. flour (I used Hodgson's Mill 50/50 white/whole wheat)
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix dry and wet ingredients separately before adding wet to dry. Stir with a fork, just enough to blend. Scoop by the quarter-cup-full into muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.

Serve to kids, and feel a little less guilty about letting them help themselves to Froot Loops every morning since school got out.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Geoff Meeker said...

So, the variable ingredient would be the fruit? I could substitute a cup of blueberries, for example, rather than banana? I assume I can substitute milk for buttermilk, if necessary...

June 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Kyran said...

Almost all of it is variable. Unfortunately, there's no author-sanctioned link to the formula I can publish here, but you could google tightwad muffin formula and see what comes up! The book is full of great recipes and tips, though. Mine was well dog-earred before I finally passed it along.

June 9, 2010 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Kyran said...

also, buttermilk isn't something I would have ever found in my fridge before I moved to the South, but it's a great thing to keep on hand for muffins, pancakes, potato salad, and lots more. I even have an amazing pancake syrup recipe that uses buttermilk as its base. Bonus: it keeps a really long time.

June 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

For 20 years, I've been using my aunt's wonderful banana muffin/bread recipe - its magic ingredient is sour cream. I think I might have to try this one, though.

Think anyone's ever called a muffin recipe Drury Lane Muffins? Someone oughta.

June 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home