Internet Explorer users may need to widen their browser windows to span all three columns. Or download Firefox.
Welcome! My main blog is Notes to Self, where I write about my big, little life. This is a place in the margins to jot down reviews, finds, and ideas worth passing along. I only post about things that are of genuine interest and relevance to me, whether suggested or discovered. I disclose all gifts, sponsorships, favors owed, blood bonds, and other vested interests. Contact me at kyranp c/o gmail.





Monday, February 1, 2010

The Five-Minute, Eleventh-Hour, Hundred-Day Project

noteworthy 003

I was picking up my youngest from a friend yesterday evening, who happens to be a teacher in our school district.

"Got your Hundred Day Project done?" she asked, brightly.

I said something not appropriate for a family-oriented review blog.

Hundred Day is one of those made-up holidays that sneaks up on me every time, because it's not rooted in any personal childhood memory. That sounds good, doesn't it? Actually, my own children's birthdays sneak up on me, too. That's how I roll.

Fortunately, if there's one thing I'm good at, (as I keep reassuring my agent and editor, patiently waiting on late manuscript revisions) it's pulling it together at the fifty-ninth minute of the eleventh hour.

I came home and found boxes of crayons hoarded from back-to-school sales, dumped a 5-lb bag of rice in a shoebox, and told my kindergartner to get busy planting.

Inch by inch, row by row.

noteworthy 026

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Cid said...

Great idea, almost makes me wish we still celebrated the 100th Day. It seems that by Grade 2 they have moved on. Another milestone passed by on the road to empty nesthood.

February 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

This will be excellent training for him if he grows up to be a smoker.

February 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Maestra Force said...

haha. now I've heard the parent side of the 100th day. I'll admit, my teacher side of the 100th day was a little too close to this. :)

February 23, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home