Internet Explorer users may need to widen their browser windows to span all three columns. Or download Firefox.
Welcome! My main blog is Notes to Self, where I write about my big, little life. This is a place in the margins to jot down reviews, finds, and ideas worth passing along. I only post about things that are of genuine interest and relevance to me, whether suggested or discovered. I disclose all gifts, sponsorships, favors owed, blood bonds, and other vested interests. Contact me at kyranp c/o gmail.





Friday, May 22, 2009

Perfection, Shaken or Stirred

DSC05118.JPG

I've been on the lookout for the perfect all-purpose cocktail glass. Martini glasses are too delicate. Margarita glasses are too big. Plastic is out of the question. And my cabinets are too few to accommodate a different set of glasses for every kind of drink. I didn't know what I needed, exactly, but I knew that I'd know it when I saw it.

I saw it yesterday. These "Ripple" stemless martini glasses from Pottery Barn are perfect. They feel substantial and luxurious, but are very inexpensive. They'll do for martinis, margaritas, old-fashioneds, cordials and even wines and ice cream. They have a cool, textured asymmetry that suits my modern aesthetic. And they feel "right" in my hand.

I bought eight. I can't find them listed online, which makes me wonder if they have been discontinued. A worthy excuse to go back and stock up.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Marinka said...

I'm sorry to disagree. Part of the appeal of the martini glass is the stem, the delicate stem. You have to set the glass down gently. You have to hold it tenderly. These are nice. But they're tumbly.

May 22, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Kyran said...

You must not be nearly as klutzy as me. I am hell on delicate glassware!

May 22, 2009 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger lenniekat said...

also, not buoying your drink on a stem reduces the chance of a spill due to little hands reaching over the table for the arrangement of bread and cheese...

May 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger rlu9 said...

I like the glasses but really want your napkin holder. My son is nuts for owls these days.

July 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home