Internet Explorer users may need to widen their browser windows to span all three columns. Or download Firefox.
Welcome! My main blog is Notes to Self, where I write about my big, little life. This is a place in the margins to jot down reviews, finds, and ideas worth passing along. I only post about things that are of genuine interest and relevance to me, whether suggested or discovered. I disclose all gifts, sponsorships, favors owed, blood bonds, and other vested interests. Contact me at kyranp c/o gmail.





Thursday, April 9, 2009

A hundred years or more.

Rod4x6

My best girl's husband, Rod, turned 40 a little while ago. They are both extraordinary people who make my white picket fence world a lot more vivid, so I wanted to do something special in his honor.

I snapped the photo a couple of years ago at a dinner party. It just happened that Rod picked up that frame, and a moment was made. He was running as an independent candidate for governor at the time, very much putting himself out on a public limb, and I thought the photo was a perfect statement about persona.

For his birthday, I asked Patrick to tint the original photo in four shades, then send an order to Target from flickr for 100 4X6 prints (plus one to frame). It cost about 20 dollars. On the day of the party, I went down to the site and arranged them in a grid on the wall, 10 rows of 10, the colors moving diagonally (unlike the sample above). Underneath it, I stuck a printed label "Hope you live to be 100."

I wish I had gotten a good photo of the final installation, but I left my camera behind. It looked great. An easy, memorable, and budget-friendly way to mark a milestone birthday. Feel free to pass it on.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Chrisy said...

Very cool idea. You're quite the designer!

April 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home