Internet Explorer users may need to widen their browser windows to span all three columns. Or download Firefox.
Welcome! My main blog is Notes to Self, where I write about my big, little life. This is a place in the margins to jot down reviews, finds, and ideas worth passing along. I only post about things that are of genuine interest and relevance to me, whether suggested or discovered. I disclose all gifts, sponsorships, favors owed, blood bonds, and other vested interests. Contact me at kyranp c/o gmail.





Monday, March 2, 2009

Spandex Can Only Do So Much

033

The week before last, I bought a sixty-five dollar pair of underwear. I did it because Isabel said they'd be well worth it, and because I was going to Houston, and I had not dropped the ten pounds I've been swearing I would since before I was going to Blogher last summer.

The sixty-five dollar underwear performed admirably for the occasion. But then I went to New York, and Tremblant, and New Orleans, and really, it's asking too much of the Spanx to contain a solid week's worth of four-course dinners and pastry breakfasts.

Thank God, Kristen had mentioned a few weeks earlier that she wanted to try Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred, which I bought months ago in an earlier round of good intentions.

I'm in, I twittered back to her. Let's blog about it to hold me accountable.

It all seemed like a very good idea until tonight. In a moment, I have to jump up and sweat for 20 minutes, when really, all I want to do is curl up on the couch with the pralines I picked up in New Orleans for my mom.

But I'm committed. Twenty minutes a day, thirty days, progressing through three difficulty levels in ten-day stages. I'm also going to get serious about reining in the eating. I've put on ten pounds in the last year, and while I'm actually okay with those ten pounds, it's the next ten, and the ten after that, that I worry about.

So I'm going to use an online calorie counter to recallibrate my intake. Nothing spartan. 1400 calories a day. More whole foods. Less refined carbs. More water.

I wrote in my Facebook 25 Things Meme that I'd like to wear a bikini one more summer, but that I'm probably not willing to suffer for it. But maybe I am, just a little.

I'll be reporting on my progress weekly, here, Monday nights until March 31. You can keep up with the whole gang, now gone way beyond me and Kristen, over here. Better yet, join in! Misery LOVES company.


This review is independent and unsponsored.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Krystle {snarkykisses} said...

I'm going to do it with you guys, except I am starting today. Jillian's 30 Day Shred has been a huge hit!

~Krystle
http://www.snarkykisses.com - regular blog
http://dietingtaketwo.wordpress.com - diet blog

March 5, 2009 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

OMG. I swear you stole a picture of me and posted it. I think I even have that same outfit.

I'm a shredhead, too. I've been shredding now for three weeks and IT STILL HURTS. Of course, I haven't been as diligent as I should but something tells me Jillian will kick my ass to the grave.

I'm with ya! we can do it. And yes, misery love company. I'll see you in the trenches of Jililan's beatings.

March 7, 2009 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats to you for making positive changes!

I personally think the best thing for a quick trim/weight loss is BODYFLEX by Greer Childers. The latest version has an elastic "gymbar" included; I had the original (floor exercises) and seperately bought the book which has a lot of additional info (motivational). I have arthritis so set up my own set of exercises - as I can't get down on the floor - after all, the big thing is the breathing. I gave it a week: I felt so good doing the exercises, by the end of the week I kept going! The kit is available online at www.bodyflex.com for $30 and you can get a second pkg for $10 if purchases at the same time. (A friend to excercise with, or a gift!)
CALLANETICS by Callan Pickney is also excellent; it isn't aerobic but still will trim the inches off quickly. Start with the 30-day "Callanetics Countdown" as it has better explanations of the poses, and the Beginners video for precise positioning.

Both are easier on the joints than most exercise programs and even the most out-of-shape person can progress very quickly to their goal. Both take little time to do each session. And both I found to be less painful, especially the Bodyflex.

Pretty much any exercise regimen done consistently will work, but I am lazy and don't like pain.

Looking forward to the bikini pic!

March 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Castle said...

I haven't tried any exercise equipment like the bodyflex for my workouts... I mainly try and do at home workouts without equipment, because it lowers your risk of injury and still gives great results. Good luck with your further training!

May 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home