Internet Explorer users may need to widen their browser windows to span all three columns. Or download Firefox.
Welcome! My main blog is Notes to Self, where I write about my big, little life. This is a place in the margins to jot down reviews, finds, and ideas worth passing along. I only post about things that are of genuine interest and relevance to me, whether suggested or discovered. I disclose all gifts, sponsorships, favors owed, blood bonds, and other vested interests. Contact me at kyranp c/o gmail.





Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Power of Labels

DSC04503.JPG

If you were to walk around my house, it wouldn't be immediately obvious that I have a handheld label maker, but it wouldn't take that long to figure it out either. The first time you opened my fridge to find milk for your coffee, or a drawer to find a pencil to jot down something, you'd see that someone in this house is very fond of Helvetica. That someone would be me.

As with any conversion experience, it kind of defies second-hand explanation. You're just going to have to trust me. Labelling things works. Magic. When things have an official home, they tend to find their way back there. There's something about the shiny printed letters that confers authority, and in the case of kids' oddities (above) and mom's office supplies, respect.

I paid $10 for my handheld P-touch by Brother from buy.com. If you are willing to wait a few weeks, you can score one at that price too, by subscribing to an alert from dealnews.com. It comes around about once a month. If you're having an organizational emergency, and you need one now, you can find it on Amazon (I get a small referral fee through this link),for a few dollars more. It has all the features I need, and it slips into my tool belt.

The only way I could love it more is if it vibrated.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer S said...

Heh.

My sister has tried to convert me to the label maker for a while. As I look around my house, I'm thinking she was right to try.

March 25, 2009 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Chrisy said...

I love labels, and organized anything, and Helvetica, and vibrating... never mind.

I'm enjoying this site!

March 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Joy! said...

Mm. Vibrating Helvetica. Oh wait, that's not what you said! I do love organizing and finding homes for things. Maybe I should label more. Magic, you said. I'm willing to try it.

March 25, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home